Every so often WordPress plugins will come out with an upgraded version, which you’ll want to take advantage of for security purposes, and to get the latest features. To upgrade your WordPress plugins, follow these steps:
- Login to WordPress at http://www.yourdomainname.com/wp-admin with your administrator username and password. If you need help recovering your password, you “Lost Your Password?” link, or if we developed your website here at Slamdot you can contact us by emailing email@example.com.
- If any of your plugins have available updates, there will be a circle with a number inside to the right of the “Plugins” menu item on the left hand sidebar. The number indicates how many of your installed plugins have available updates.
- Click “Plugins” on the left hand sidebar.
- For any plugin that needs to be updated, there will be a message underneath that plugin telling you that a newer version is available, along with an “update now” link. You can click each “update now” link individually, or, alternately, to update them all at once, you can select the check boxes to the left of all of the plugins that need to be updated, and then at the bottom of the page change the “Bulk Actions” menu to “Update” and click “Apply.”
- You may be asked to enter in your FTP password. If you are a Slamdot customer and you do not know your FTP password you can contact us for this information by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are not a Slamdot customer you will need to contact your web host or web developer who originally helped develop your website.
- Once you have entered in the FTP password click the “Proceed” button.
- It can take several minutes for the updates to complete, during which time your site will be down and will display a message that it is “briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance.” Please do not interrupt the updating process as doing so could cause problems on your site.
This should get your WordPress plugins upgraded and all set! You’ll want to double-check the front-end of your website to make sure pages, content, galleries, contact forms and other elements of the site look and function properly. If you have any questions or issues, and would like to see how we can help, please email us at email@example.com.