Data Request Policy
This Data Request Policy outlines how Slamdot, Inc. (“Slamdot”), a Delaware corporation, handles requests for information or documents relating to customer accounts in connection with official criminal investigations or other official legal proceedings.
Except in limited emergency situations (see below), Slamdot requires data requests to be made through formal U.S. legal process and procedures, and will respond to such requests as required by law.
Examples of data requests include:
- Search Warrants
- Legal process received from outside the United States may require a Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty (MLAT) with the United States
- Other forms of legal process such as Civil Investigative Demands
Preservation Requests: A preservation request asks Slamdot to preserve customer account records in connection with official criminal investigations or other official legal proceedings. Preservation requests must include the following information:
- Identification of the account(s) at issue;
- Identification of the investigating agency and/or specific pending official proceedings (requests must be signed on law enforcement letterhead);
- Assurances that the requesting agency or individual is taking steps to obtain appropriate legal process for access to the data that Slamdot is being asked to retain; and
- A valid return email address and phone number.
- Emergency Requests: An emergency request is only appropriate in cases involving imminent serious bodily harm or death. We respond to emergency requests when we believe in good faith that such harm may occur if we do not respond without delay.
Notice to Slamdot Customers
Slamdot’s policy is to notify its customers of requests for their data unless Slamdot is prohibited from doing so by statute or court order.
Information to Include in a Request
The following information must be included in a request for customer data:
- First and last name of the customer and email address associated with the account; and
Domain name and/or IP address associated with the account.
Slamdot may not be able to respond to a request without this information.
Additionally, Slamdot reserves the right to request a copy of the complaint and any supporting documentation that demonstrates how the information requested is related to the pending litigation and the underlying subpoena.
Sending a Request to Slamdot
Please use the following contact information to send a Request to Slamdot:
Attn: Legal Department
2053 Thunderhead Road
Knoxville, TN 37922
IMPORTANT NOTE: IN THE EVENT YOU SEND US A NOTICE OF ANY KIND VIA EMAIL AND DO NOT RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM US, PLEASE SUBMIT A DUPLICATE COPY VIA PAPER MAIL TO ENSURE WE RECEIVE YOUR REQUEST.
Slamdot may seek reimbursement for costs in responding to requests as provided by law and may charge additional fees for costs in responding to unusual or burdensome requests.
Depending on the type of formal legal process provided, Slamdot may be able to respond with one or more of the following types of data:
Non-Content: Slamdot will produce non-content information such as basic subscriber information which may include the following subject to a valid request:
- Email addresses
- Date and time of account creation
- Billing information
- IP Logs
Content: Slamdot will only produce customer content (such as website files and email content) pursuant to a valid search warrant from an entity with proper jurisdiction.